November 24, 2011

Interview #11: Lazy Rich


Read on to discover one of electro-house's fastest rising stars, Lazy Rich.

Don’t let the name fool you as this rapidly rising electronic music star is far from Lazy. In just 3 years since he first stepped into the studio Lazy Rich has scored more chart-topping releases than most DJ’s achieve in a lifetime. The vibrant energy found within his productions, has opened his name to a diverse range of support within the electronica scene; fans & supporters of his sound include heavyweight players such as Tiesto, Norman Cook, Laidback Luke, David Guetta, Carl Cox, Armand Van Helden, Skrillex, Sander Kleinenberg, Pete Tong, Fedde Le Grand, Roger Sanchez to name a few, achieving a slew of #1’s and top 10’s on various electronic music charts. The future certainly looks incredibly bright for this rapidly rising star, and we'll certainly be there to document it.


Name: Lazy Rich                              
Genres: Electro House
Years as DJ: 12
Social Media: Facebook

Forward Musiq: How did you get started in the electronic dance music scene? What motivated you to be a DJ?
Lazy Rich: Coming from the UK, edm has been around me my whole life. At University me and a friend just thought it would be a cool thing to try.

FM: Lazy Rich. How did you come along that name?
LR: I was obsessed by “Lazy” by X-Press 2.

FM: How was your first gig?
LR: Hah, quiet.

FM: How about your favorite one?
LR: Seoul in Korea, amazing place to play, the crowds go INSANE

FM: Each track of yours is filled with your signature hard-hitting basslines. Even so, how would you describe your sound at the moment of producing? How has it evolved since you produced your first song?
LR: Right now I’m trying for the big room electro sound, similar to R3hab, Zedd and Tommy Trash. My style of producing is actually similar to how I started, funky, intense, and as big a bassline as possible!

FM: Have you ever thought of trying out new genres? Which ones?
LR: Yes I have tried progressive, techno and funky house, you can hear the results if you go through my tracks on Beatport.

FM: Which artists have served you as musical inspiration over the years?
LR: John Dahlback, Wolfgang, Porter Robinson, Miles Dyson.

FM: What is the best thing about being a DJ? How about the worst?
LR: The best is getting good feedback from fans, worst is the traveling and clearing customs.

FM: When performing, what is something you always carry with you?
LR: Ear plugs!

FM: Production-wise, what has so far been the best track of 2011?
LR: The best track this year in my opinion is R3hab and Swanky Tunes remix of Maximal Crazy by Tiesto.

FM:
Of all the tracks you’ve made, which is your favorite one? Why?
LR: My remix of “My Love Is Free”, it’s a really nice track to play at the end of the gig.

FM: Which are the best three tracks to get the crowd going?
LR: SHM – Save The World (Zedd Remix), Felguk – Jack It, and Porter Robinson’s remix of Bromance.

FM: Is there anything you are currently looking forward to?
LR: I’ve got some really big tracks coming out next year, so keep an eye out for them!

FM: If you could collaborate on a track and spend one day with any DJ/Producer, who would it be? Why?
LR: Probably Wolfgang Gartner, I’d love to see just how he gets that much detail into his tracks.

FM: Where do you think you will be 5 years from now? How about electronic dance music as a whole?
LR: Hopefully doing the same thing but for more money! I’ve no idea where it’s going to go,  nobody would ever have expected EDM to explode like it has the last couple of years.

FM: Are there any goals you want to accomplish in what is left of this year? How about 2012?
LR: I’ve had an amazing year so far, my best yet, so not much more to accomplish, next year it’s time to turn it up a notch and really show the world what I can do.

FM: Are there any other things you enjoy apart from producing music?
LR: Computer games!

FM: What was your childhood dream? Did it have anything to do with where you are now?
LR: I wanted to be a game designer, I guess there are a couple of similarities.

FM: Where do you stand regarding music piracy? Are you in favor of it, or against it?
LR: Against it of course!

FM: Thank you very much for your time; it has been a complete pleasure! Any lasts words of advice towards your Puerto Rican fans? Ever thought about coming to visit the island?
LR: Just thanks to everyone that has supported me so far! I will come as soon as someone books me there!

No comments:

Post a Comment