October 3, 2011

Interview #9: Gregori Klosman

By: Michael Maurer
Today we sit down for an interview with one of the artists that has taken the progressive-house scene by storm, Gregori Klosman.


If you've been closely following the progressive-house genre these last few months, Gregori Klosman is surely no stranger to you. If you haven't, let me introduce you to one of Europe's finest up and coming electronic dance music producers. After falling in love with the sound when he listened to Daft Punk's "Discovery" in the 90s, it didn't take long for Gregori to start hitting the turntables and begin to work at his own productions. His breakthrough came with "Fuckin' Down", and he's been delivering us with massive, festival themed productions ever since. Whether its the nasty, dutch hit "Low Battery", or the movie inspired, synth-driven "Jaws", Gregori is sure to stay in it for the long run.  Read on to find out about Gregori's thoughts on his career and success, his dream of hosting a party at Ibiza's Pacha, and how he enjoys to take some time off to indulge in video games.

Name: Gregori Klosman
Genres: Progressive-House / Electro-House
Years as a DJ: Seven
Social Media:
Twitter
Facebook
Youtube

Forward Musiq: Hey! First off I’d like to thank you on behalf of Forward Musiq for conceding us this interview. It’s good to know that although you have a hectic schedule, you always dedicate some time to your loyal fans.
Gregori Klosman: Indeed my schedule is full. But it's always important to take the time to answer questions.

FM: So, how did you get introduced into the art of DJing? Did you ever think you’d make it this far?
GK: I always loved the « DJ » thing. But it was something I'd never expect to become my fulltime job. A friend at high school was DJ and I trained in his student apartment for fun. Then I decided to buy myself turntables. First was vinyls, and later CDJ. In the same time I started producing some sounds during my sound engineering school.

FM: You come from the nest of the world’s greatest producers, France. As time has passed, what has molded your sound into what it is today? Any mayor influences?
GK: It's good to see French producers are still beloved by the musc lovers. I have several influences from Daft Punk and « the french touch scene » to Erick Morillo, Fedde Le Grand, Axwell, etc... But also Blues music, Pop, Hip-Hop. Any kind of music influenced me, for example Dance Music from the 90's was really everwhere when I grew up.

FM: Although you recently experimented with a more tech-house feel on “Peacock”, most of your tracks are along the lines of dutch house. Why this genre and not dubstep, for instance?
GK: Because for me Tech-House is still House. I love House Music and a lot of subgenres : Tech-House, Progressive, Electro, Techno. I don't want to be stucked in one style./ Why should I ? Regarding 'Dubstep', I love what Skrillex does, but that's it. But only his style, not others.

FM: How would you describe your sound? How has it evolved?
GK: Good question. I would call it CLUB, as I mostly produce tracks for the big soundsystems. My first goal is to make people go crazy on the dancefloor. I think it's evolving a lot in the past months, because I can't produce the same sound forever. I need to do fresh stuff.

FM: What is the best thing about being a DJ? How about the worst?
GK: Best thing is by far the love and energy you get from the people and in particular when I spin for big events such as festivals.Worst thing is to travel for hours, waking up far from home and exhausted.

FM: Do you remember your first gig? How was it? And your favorite one?
GK: My first gig was awful, in a small club in France. The amplifier of the soundsystem shut down after my first 10 minutes. People left the dancefloor, the boss was panicked haha. The best souvenir is probably MYSTERYLAND because I stage dived in the crowd.

FM: When performing, what is something you always carry with you?
GK: My USB sticks, my headphones, my earplug protections...and my shoes haha :-)

FM: In your opinion, what is the best track to get the crowd going?
GK: Benny Benassi – Satisfaction

FM: Production-wise, what has so far been the best track of 2011?
GK: Avicii – Levels

FM: Of all the tracks you’ve made, which is your favorite one? Why?
GK: Fuckin Down because it's the first track of mine all the big Djs played.

FM: If you collaborate on a track and spend one day with any DJ/Producer, who would it be? Why?
GK: Fedde Le Grand or Axwell because both are, for me, the best club producers in this world. Always melodic and powerful.

FM: Where do you think you will be 10 years from now? How about electronic dance music as a whole?
GK: I don't know where I will be, but if I work really hard I hope in 10 years I will be hosting my own party at PACHA Ibiza. Electronic dance music will be everywhere and will definitely be the new POP.

FM: Are there any other things you enjoy apart from producing music?
GK: Riding a motorcycle, watching a movie eating popcorn, tanning in a swimming pool, playing poker and Starcraft 2 AND ….......... performing live as a DJ.

FM: Thank you very much for your time Mr. Klosman. Any lasts words of advice towards your Puerto Rican fans? Ever thought about coming to visit the island?
GK: My only advice : « Be who you are ». I'm down to come visit the island and play there. But I'm sure it will happen sooner than you expect. Much love to my Puerto Rican fans !!

No comments:

Post a Comment