January 30, 2011

Entrevista con Steve Lawler


Interview by Craig Torrance. Originally published in Mixmag in July 2010.

What did you want to be when you grew up?
I just wanted to be taller, I guess, which didn’t happen.

What’s the worst club you’ve ever been to?
I played a club inn Tenerife which was abysmal. It was like an 18–30s place with people doing bucket shots at the bar and wet T-shirt competitions.

What’s been your worst job?
When I was 14 I worked in a butchers. I lasted three days.

How do you describe what you do to someone who doesn’t know you?
I tell people I run a record label. I don’t like saying I’m a DJ as it opens up a world of requests.

Have you ever been arrested?
When I was a kid, for climbing on roofs. We were accused of breaking into a jewellers, which we didn’t.

What’s the best record ever made?
‘The End’ by The Doors. When I listen to it I get lost, and for me that’s what music is all about: being locked into it.

What’s the coolest thing in your house?
My poker table. I play a lot with my mates on a weeknight.

Who’s your all-time hero and why?
Jim Morrison. I’m a big, big fan of The Doors, mainly because of his no-fear attitude; he didn’t give a shit.

What do you collect?
Wine. I wouldn’t call myself a connoisseur but I know what I like, and I know a little bit about it. The most expensive bottle I’ve ever drunk was 800 Euros.

What’s your vice?
A combination of vodka and being afraid to go to bed.

What were you doing at 2pm last Sunday afternoon?
I played at Shine in Belfast, so I was on the flight back on Sunday afternoon.

What’s your answer to everything?
No!

On a scale of one to 10, how good are you in the sack?
I’d give myself a zero because there’s no way I’m going to say I’m a ten and ?a total stallion.

What’s your most prized possession that you’ve still got from when you were a kid?
The only thing I still have is my records; that’s all I really had when I was younger.

Have you ever had a homosexual experience?
I haven’t, no; why? You offering?

What was your last treat for yourself?
It was my new studio. I changed my wine cellar in the house and fitted in a soundproof studio, the whole works.

What do you spend your money on?
Properties. I save up my money, get enough for a deposit and lump it down on a property somewhere. I’m 36 so I’ve got about 10 years left touring; I’ll pass the label onto my brothers and this is like my pension.

What’s your drug of choice?
I’ll be honest: MDMA.

What can’t you live without?
I can’t live without my heart.

Do you have a recurring dream?
I have the same one where I’m sitting at the edge of a warehouse dancefloor in 1989 and I’m watching people dance.

What would you change about yourself if you could?
I wouldn’t change a thing, really. My height only bothers me if I stand next to Andy from Groove Armada.

What’s the worst item of clothing you’ve ever worn?
I use to wear dungarees and a hooded top that was all psychedelic and fucked up colours, and loafer Kickers.

If you had a Tardis, what time would you go back to?
The Sixties, I reckon. It was a time when everything was new and exciting. People smoking and drinking – people were free and didn’t have the government clamping down.

What’s your lamest claim to fame?
Do you remember the TV programme Emu’s World? I danced on that when I was a kid, wearing blue or green tights.

Check out Steve Lawler's Music on SoundCloud

http://soundcloud.com/steve-lawler

No comments:

Post a Comment