April 6, 2011

Loco Dice interview


LOCO DICE
(germany, desolat)

What did you want to be when you grew up?
I always wanted to be in the air, working as a pilot or a flight attendant.

What’s the worst club you’ve been to?
I used to MC a lot in my hip-hop days; there were so many bad ones I can’t even pick one. 

What are you obsessed with?
I love football. We have a team at Tribehouse, the club where I’m a resident in Düsseldorf. The team is made up of the barmen, light jockeys and bouncers. After a big party you can forget it. 

What do you hate right now?
The war. I don’t like to watch the TV it pisses me off that stupid things that could be solved easily continue to destroy the lives of innocent people. 

When and where were you happiest?
When my mother said she was proud of me. That was special. I was 25; I was in trouble a lot as a kid, and she was always telling me to get a real job instead of DJing, but eventually she realised I was taking it seriously and it was working out. 

Have you ever been arrested?
Yes. I was very young and it was because of fighting and other things. I was never a drug dealer. When I grew up I had bad people around me, and when that happens you do bad things. When you get arrested you realise there are two directions you can take. I thought, this isn’t the way I want to go. I believe in God, so I changed completely and now I feel sorry for what I did.

What’s the best record ever made?
If I was forced to pick it would be Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’. Quincy Jones was so far ahead of his time. Even the beats – it’s so fucking electronic and jamming.

Who’s your hero?
My mother, for the way she handled her life. She came from Tunisia to Germany and raised us without a father.

What’s your vice?
Drinking too much. I’m not an alcoholic, but I love it. It’s so bad for you. I usually drink expensive red wine or whisky. 

What do you collect?
Baseballs caps. I’ve got a whole corridor at home that’s full of caps. 

What were you doing at 2pm last Sunday?
Sleeping. I partied ’til nine or 10am at the launch party for my album. I played back to back with Ali from Deep Dish from 1am to 8am and it was dope. 

What’s the coolest thing you own?
My limited edition gold 1210 Mk2 turntable, from my hip-hop days. 

What’s your answer to everything?
Relax! But I say it in a Mexican accent.

On scale of one to 10, how good are you in the sack?
A fucking ten, man, of course!

What’s your most prized possession from your childhood?
My birth chain. It contains the Koran and a set of dice. You’re given it at birth but your mum takes it away when you go wild as a teenager and gives it back to you when you grow up. 

Have you ever had a homosexual experience?
Never, and I never even thought about it. 

What do you spend your money on?
Food and clothes. I love shopping in NY.

What would you change about yourself if you could?
I have too much of a belly, maybe, but I could change that by going running. 

What’s your claim to fame?
I toured with Snoop Dogg once but even better than that was when I met Roger Troutman. Meeting him was much cooler than hanging with Snoop. 

If you had a Tardis, when and where would you go?
The 80s: everything started then. People were trying a lot of things. Or maybe the 30s. I love that era for the style and the music.

No comments:

Post a Comment